Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to Use Kitchen Herbs for Medicine

Introduction

Most of us have a very good medicinal herb storehouse--we just don't realize it. Our kitchens are loaded with herbs and spices that we use when we cook.

They are not only good for cooking but they also have medicinal value. An example of this is basil. When I have menstrual cramps, I like to experiment with different herbs to see which will work to relieve them the best. The most effective one for me is basil, which I always keep on hand because of all the Italian cooking I do.

I also use sage for sore throats, ginger for inflammation and to keep my metabolism going strong, and I love to use cayenne when I have colds to relieve congestion and boost my immune system.

What follows is a list of typical kitchen herbs and what they are used for when it comes to medicine.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You'll Need

  • A pantry filled with herbs
  • Resources to do your own research such as a good website or a good herbal book

Steps

1

Step One

Basil: menstrual cramps, digestive problems, expels gas.
2

Step Two

Oregano: pain and inflammation, antifungal.
3

Step Three

Cinnamon: colds and flu, diabetes, metabolism.
4

Step Four

Cayenne: pain (when applied topically), colds and flu, strengthens the metabolism, congestion.
5

Step Five

Mint: digestion, antispasmodic (makes it good for cramping), relieves flatulence.
6

Step Six

Rosemary: used topically for skin problems and dandruff, stimulates menstrual flow, relieves inflammation and spasms.
7

Step Seven

Dill: good for the digestion, seeds encourage breast milk to flow.
8

Step Eight

Parsley: filled with vitamins and minerals, used topically for dandruff, bad breath, bladder infections, diuretic.

Tips & Warnings

  • Make sure you research the articles on your own.
  • Consult with a doctor before using any of the herbs.
  • Beware of any side effects.

No comments: