Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to Use Peppermint for Sinus Pain

Introduction

I have chronic sinus problems. When I have a cold or allergy problems it immediately affects my sinuses. If I'm not careful, it turns into sinus pain and I eventually get an infection.

My favorite herb to use for this problems is peppermint. So, I keep a healthy supply of peppermint tea on hand. In the past, I've also used the essential oil. However, I quickly learned that the vapors from the essential oil sting my eyes and make them tear. So, I don't use it anymore.

That leaves me with only one choice--to use the dried or fresh herb to make a tea. My favorite way to brew peppermint tea is to use a combination of both. You can also find peppermint extract and peppermint tincture. Again, I like to use these to enhance the flavor of the tea.

It's really the aromatics of peppermint that make it effective for clearing the sinuses. So the more aromatic you can make the cup, the better off you'll be.

If you want to use peppermint for your sinus pain, here are a few of your options. The variety to use is Mentha piperita. Mentha spicata (spearmint) does not have the same properties as peppermint.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You'll Need

  • Peppermint tea bag or a teaspoon of the dried herb
  • Fresh peppermint leaves
  • Peppermint tincture
  • Extract of peppermint (you can find this in the baking aisle)
  • Peppermint essential oil

Steps

1

Step One

You can use the dried herb to make a simple tea. The fresher the herb is, the better. If you've had the tea bags in the cabinet for a while, they might not be as effective. The volatile oils tend to break down as the dried herb ages.
2

Step Two

Fresh peppermint leaves can be used to make a tea by themselves. Just use one tablespoon of the loosely chopped herb for each cup of boiling water. Or, you can use one or two mint leaves to enhance any of your other, favorite herbal teas.
3

Step Three

Peppermint tincture is also something you can use to help clear out your sinuses and eliminate the sinus pain. Use one or two drops in your cup of herbal tea or peppermint tea. Or, you can mix 5 to 10 drops in a small cup of warm water and drink it.
4

Step Four

Peppermint extract is really strong, as long as you find "pure peppermint extract." Check the baking aisle in your supermarket. You can also use this to enhance your regular herbal tea or peppermint tea.
5

Step Five

I still use peppermint essential oil, I just need to be careful not to use too much. My favorite method is to drop 1 to 2 drops of the essential oil onto a tissue or cloth and inhale whenever I need my sinuses to clear out.

Tips & Warnings

  • Make sure you aren't allergic to peppermint.
  • You can also mix peppermint essential oil with Eucalyptus oil and drop in a tissue or cloth to inhale.
  • See a doctor if symptoms persist or get worst. Also mention that you've been drinking peppermint tea just in case the doctor knows of any side effects.

No comments: