Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to Make an Herbal Sports Drink

Introduction

I am very active. I've tried the typical sports drinks but I don't like them. To me, they taste like artificial juice drinks with too much salt. So, I've started making my own sports drinks out of my favorite herbs. I find these to be energizing and refreshing and they make me feel healthy. Here's how you make them.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

Things You'll Need

  • Tea bags (or loose herb) of choice. Herbs to try include stinging nettle, dandelion leaves, peppermint, green tea, mate and ginger
  • Raw honey or local honey (of different flavors if you want)
  • Natural fruit juice at health food stores and even in the supermarket.
  • A pinch of sea salt You can leave this out if you already consume a lot of high sodium foods.
  • Water

Steps

1

Step One

Choose one tea from the list and place one tea bag or 2 teaspoons of loose herb in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and pour into the glass measuring cup. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2

Step Two

Remove tea bag or strain out the herb and pour into a glass jar. Add one teaspoon honey and one pinch of salt and stir until dissolved.
3

Step Three

Pour 2 cups of the natural fruit juice into glass jar and shake to distribute the flavors. Let the contents cool slightly and then refrigerate until chilled.
4

Step Four

Drink 8 to 16 ounces of this sports drink during your workout.

Tips & Warnings

  • You can omit the fruit juice and double the recipe if you want a lighter sports drink.
  • Make sure you research the herbs you choose.
  • Consult with your doctor just to make sure the herbs you choose are suitable.

No comments: