Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to Use Blood Cleansing Herbs for Detox and Health

Introduction

When I was studying to become an herbalist through the Australasian College of Health Sciences, the first group of herbs they exposed me to were called alterative herbs, or blood cleansing herbs.

I quickly understood why--it's because they help restore your body to a state of balance and health by "purifying" the blood and getting rid of impurities and help increase the functioning of the organs that are involved with the blood such as the kidneys, liver, bowels and lymphatic system.

The end result? You end up with more energy, clearer skin and a body that functions optimally. In other words, these herbs present you with a gentle way to detox your body.

I have rosacea and I notice that when I take blood-cleansing herbs such as burdock and red clover on a regular basis, my skin is clear and I feel a lot healthier. And in general, I notice I feel a lot healthier because my energy level is a lot higher.

Intrigued? Read on. The links provided at the end of the article give you more information and show you what they look like. You may notice that most of them may be growing in your lawn!

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Main Blood Cleansing Herbs

Things You'll Need

  • Red Clover (trifolium pratense)
  • Plantain (plantago major, plantago lanceolate)
  • Burdock root (arctium lappa)
  • Chickweed (stellaria media)

Steps

1

Step One

Red Clover (Trifolium pratense). This is my favorite herb to use for my skin problems. I like to make a strong tea that I flavor with mint. To brew the tea I use 1/2 cup of the dried flowers in three cups of hot water. I add a pinch of mint to it because otherwise it will taste bitter. I let it steep for around two hours. I then reheat it and strain it.

You can also use red clover for the nerves, swollen breasts during menstruation, congestion and bronchitis. Stay away from red clover if you are pregnant or taking an anticoagulant.
2

Step Two

Plantain (plantago major, plantago lanceolate). If you have a lawn, chances are you know what this plant is. A good field guide will help you identify it. So instead of putting down weed killer, you may want to consider eating the leaves from this plant. It is rich in minerals and is also a blood-cleansing herb. The seeds (psyllium husks) are used as a bulk laxative as well.

This is my favorite herb to use topically for wounds and burns. Internally it can also help with skin problems, kidney problems, water retention, constipation (the seeds) and burns (when applied to the skin).

You can either eat the leaves fresh in salads or prepare a tea out of the dry or fresh herb. Plantain is generally safe but use it sparingly if you are pregnant.
3

Step Three

Burdock Root (arctium lappa). This is another one of those herbs that is an effective blood cleanser. It works specifically on the skin and on the kidneys. I've had success using it for my rosacea. Other skin problems it helps with include eczema and psoriasis. You can also use it for urinary track infections and other bladder and kidney problems.

You can purchase the fresh root from health food stores and peel it and it to stir fries. (It's called Gobi in Japanese.) Or, make a decoction out of the dried root by adding three cups of water and two teaspoons of burdock root to a saucepan. Simmer until the liquid reduces by half.

Don't use burdock if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Otherwise, it is considered safe unless you have an allergy to it.
4

Step Four

Chickweed (stellaria media). Chickweed grows as a weed in my garden. Each time I see it, I pick it and put it in my salads. The flavor is mild and very similar to spinach. I like to eat chickweed several times a week.

This is also a good blood cleansing herb to try and helps the skin and other elimination organs such as the kidneys. If you decide to try it, make sure you identify it correctly. Or, you can purchase the dried herb from your favorite herbal supplier.

Tips & Warnings

  • Make sure you research these herbs on your own so that you know what it looks like and whether or not you should take it.
  • If you have a serious health problem or are pregnant of lactating, be wary of taking any herbal medications. Consult your doctor just to make sure.

No comments: