Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to Relieve Menstrual Cramps with Herbs

Introduction

It's very easy to believe that all you need to do to relieve your menstrual cramps is take your favorite pain killer. Trust me, I know. That's what I used to do.

But all those pills started to take a toll on my stomach. So, I started to explore my options. How can I relieve the pain of menstrual cramps using herbs? Here's the best of what I found.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

My Favorite Herbs to Relieve Menstrual Cramps

Things You'll Need

  • Basil (tea)
  • Chamomile (tea)
  • Peppermint (tea)
  • Cramp Bark (tincture)
  • Ginger (tea)

Steps

1

Step One

Choose one of the herbs listed above to try when you have menstrual cramps.
2

Step Two

If the herb calls for a tea, use one tea bag for one cup boiling water. You can substitute 1 teaspoon of the dried herb and 1 tablespoon of the fresh herb if you don't have a tea bag.
3

Step Three

Drink one cup of tea several times a day or as needed until your cramps subside.
4

Step Four

Cramp bark is an herb that seems to work better as a tincture. You can find cramp bark tincture online or at your local health food store.
5

Step Five

To take the tincture, add 30 to 40 drops into a small cup of warm water and drink quickly. Do this three times a day.

Tips & Warnings

  • It is best to try one herb at a time to see if it works.
  • Once you know if an herb works, you can take more than one a day.
  • Make sure you tell your doctor about the herbs you are taking, just in case.
  • Do research on your own about a new herb before you take it so you can determine if there are any side effects.

No comments: