Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to Stop Snoring

Introduction

It's not easy for me to admit, but sometimes I snore at night. It doesn't prevent me from getting a good night's sleep, but it keeps my husband awake. In fact, it drives him crazy!

My problem is that I get congested at night, especially during allergy season. So, my method of treating it has been to combat my allergies and to find ways to keep my nasal passages clear at night. For me, that means using a menthol inhaler and placing a drop of peppermint essential oil on my pillow.

If you snore, it may be for different reasons. The first thing you need to do is identify what they are. Once you do that, you will have a lot more success in finding a way to eliminate it.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Causes for Snoring

Steps

1

Step One

Snoring is caused when your nasal passages are narrowed or blocked. There can be a variety of reasons for this. Here's a list:

Congestion
Colds
Allergies
Overweight
Sleep apnea
Alcohol
Muscle relaxant drugs
Drugs that promote drowsiness
Your physical traits such as a deviated septum or large tonsils
Asthma
Sleeping on your back
2

Step Two

See a doctor to find a cause. If you snore, you may want to see a doctor. Even though most cases can be explained, there are some occasions where they indicate a more serious medical problem that may need treatment such as sleep apnea or asthma.

In other words, they will help you find the cause and provide you with some solutions. For example, if you have a deviated septum, your doctor may recommend corrective surgery. If you need help losing weight, your doctor could provide you with some helpful advice.

Doctors are trained to assist you in finding a cause for the things that ail you. If your snoring is prolonged or severe it can affect your health by interrupting your sleep patterns. By doing this you are taking a positive step to assisting your health.
3

Step Three

Get rid of congestion. Even if you determine that your snoring is caused by something other than congestion, keeping your nasal passages as clear as possible will help. You can do this in a number of ways. Here are some of the best ways I've found that can help:

* Take a decongestant. There are many choices--some are herbal or homeopathic remedies and others need to be purchased at the drug store. I personally don't like to take drug store remedies because I am not able to sleep when I take them.

* Use a menthol inhaler. This is my favorite option. The menthol works for several hours and I find that when I use it, I don't snore.

* Essential oils. If I can't find my inhaler or want a change of pace, I place a few drops of essential on my pillow. My favorites are peppermint, rosemary and tea tree.
4

Step Four

Control your allergies. Allergies are another cause for snoring. If you control your allergies you can decrease your chances of snoring. You can either take over the counter medicine to control them, get a prescription from your doctor, or use natural remedies. Vitamin C, green tea, grape seed extract, and stinging nettle are my favorite natural allergy medications.
5

Step Five

Control your weight. Being overweight is another common cause for snoring. If you keep your weight down or lose weight, that may help eliminate the snoring. You can choose to lose weight any method that will work for you. Just remember that slow, gradual weight loss is usually longer lasting.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you do your best to live a healthy lifestyle, you eliminate your chances of snoring.
  • It is always best to work with your doctor to help discover the cause.
  • Keep in mind that snoring can indicate a more serious health problem. If you see a doctor, you can rule these out.

No comments: